Activ condemns, in the strongest terms, all forms of abuse of people with disability, and fully supports the intent and implementation of the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.
Activ endorses the royal commission’s investigations into promotion of a more inclusive society that supports the independence of people with disability and their right to live free from violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation.
In preparing for, and responding to, the inquiry and findings of the royal commission, we will act in line with our values:
- Learn and grow – we will remain open to learning from the royal commission and will take into account any recommendations arising from the commission in future decision-making.
- Share a passion for people – we will at all times lead with care, compassion and a passion for improving the lives of those living with disability.
- Lead with courage – we will confront, and respond to, any findings of wrongdoing on our part promptly and with sincerity, courage and leadership.
- Listen loudly – we will proactively seek the outcomes and recommendations from the royal commission, welcoming them as opportunities for growth.
- Be customer driven – we will continue to prioritise the needs of our customers at all times.
- Create together – we will work proactively with industry peers to ensure the royal commission delivers even better futures for people living with disability.
Specifically, as indication of the seriousness with which we view the royal commission and an acknowledgement of the degree of importance that we assign to it Activ will:
- Establish a Royal Commission Steering Committee and appoint dedicated resources to coordinate our response to the royal commission,;
- Encourage and support those impacted to come forth and to be heard;
- Ensure timely and appropriate access to records by the royal commission as required;
- Take responsibility for any act or omission by our organisation found to have led to any person being supported by Activ being the subject of violence, abuse, neglect or exploitation;
- Support all those in the Activ community - including customers, families, and carers - to ensure positive outcomes for any individual found to have been the subject of violence, abuse, neglect or exploitation while in the care of Activ, working with other agencies where appropriate;
- Ensure that all Activ staff and volunteers are aware of and informed about the progress of the royal commission, its findings and Activ’s responses to those findings;
- Provide support to those staff and volunteers that are personally affected through our support mechanisms;
- Implement changes that support the recommendations of the royal commission; and,
- Communicate changes to all our stakeholders in an inclusive, accessible and timely manner.