Activ Artspace has returned to Wembley for its fifth consecutive year featuring original artwork created by people living with disability.
Launched in 2014, Activ Artspace is a free, public exhibition showcasing a range of artwork including, photographs, paintings and drawings completed across a range of different mediums.
The 2018 exhibition opened with a ceremony on the evening of Friday 25 May. At the ceremony, seven award winning artists were named:
- Representational Award sponsored by Cullen McLeod – Paul Mitchell ‘Walking Through Rottnest’
- Encouragement Award sponsored by the Entertainment Book – Elizabeth Hudson ‘Flower Art’
- Abstract Award sponsored by Fraser’s Restaurant – Natalie Hook
- Originality/Creativity Award sponsored by Lawley’s – Aaron Stockbridge ‘The Chosen One’
- Composition Award sponsored by Graphic Source – Anita Franklin ‘Peaceful’
- Encouragement Award – Trevor Hilder ‘Star’
- Judges Award sponsored by Health Freak Café – Rian Hronsky ‘Drifting’
The ‘People’s Choice’ Award remains open for voting over the course of the exhibition.
The 2018 Activ Artspace exhibition also features an auction piece by talented Western Australian artist Joni Marlow. Joni is a resident of Activ’s Accommodation service in Manjimup and is a prolific artist, who discovered her talent for painting in 2013 through art-classes with Network Warren Blackwood.
In February 2018, Joni held her first solo exhibition in Manjimup to great success. Her artwork has continued to go from strength to strength and she has planned to hold a second exhibition later in the year.
All money raised from the sale of the piece will go towards future Activ Artspace exhibitions, encouraging budding artists to let their creativity and inspiration shine.
Activ CEO Danielle Newport said the organisation was proud to be able to show the artworks to the wider community through this annual event.
“Art is a passion for many of our customers and Activ Artspace allows our customers to share their passion with the wider community,” she said.
“Here at Activ, we believe in the abilities of the people that we support. We are proud to provide the opportunity for self-expression through this annual exhibition and we are proud to encourage creativity and watch our artists flourish.”
Activ Artspace will be open to the public from Monday, May 28 until Friday, June 1, 2017. The majority of pieces on show are available to purchase, with the proceeds from every piece sold going directly back to the artists who created it.