Finding room to move – when you’ve outgrown your home

If you’re ready to move out of the family home and find somewhere that gives you safe and supported independence, you might be wondering what options are available to help you do this.

Changing where and how we live and finding accommodation to suit our needs is not always an easy process. If you are eligible for Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), making a change to your home often involves additional layers of complexity.

Read on to find out what supports are available to you when your current home is no longer fit for purpose.


Is there funding support available to help me move to a more accessible home? 

Depending on your plan, the NDIS may consider funding supports to help you move to a more accessible home. You would need to demonstrate that your current home can’t be modified or that the modifications would be very expensive and not meet your needs in the long term. If the NDIS decides moving home is reasonable and necessary and offers the best value for money, you may get help with the costs involved in moving into a new rental home or selling your current house and moving to a more accessible one.

The best thing to do is check with the NDIS first before making any decisions about changing where you live.


What if I need to move but I’ve already accessed funding to modify my current home?

If you have already accessed funding for complex or extensive modifications in your current home, your next home should already suit your needs.

It’s also important to remember that, unless agreed to prior to installation, the NDIS won’t pay to remove modifications that you don’t need anymore. If this is something you think you may need to do you should note this in writing before the modifications are funded in your plan.


Is funding support available if I want to buy or build a new home? 

You may be able to access NDIS funding if you require home modifications within a new house or home build – however, it is recommended that, prior to purchasing or building a new home, you speak with the NDIS to check what support is available. A home modification assessor will need to view any design plans and will make recommendations to the NDIS prior to any funding being approved.

Additionally, the Community Disability Housing Program is run by the WA government and includes an option to access home loans to purchase, build or modify private homes.

Learn more about your accommodation options.